Saturday 24 November 2012

MEDIA TEXT INFLUENCES

MUSIC VIDEO INSPIRATIONS:


Never Shout Never - What Is Love?

I like how this video uses live action with typography over the top. I also like how the artist connects with the audience and breaks the 4th wall by giving direct eye contact. I think this makes the video more personal and allows the audience to feel more involved. I like how the video is shot in one take using a smooth hand pan from left to right with the actors changing each time.

Never Shout Never - Harmony

I like the use of the narrative structure as it follows a linear structure and Todorov's narrative structure theory can be applied to this as at the beginning we see the fly going to deliver a letter (equilibrium) and then a chain of events happening during the middle (disequilibrium), and then the fly delivering back a letter at the end (equilibrium again). I also like how simple the video is yet still is unique and effective. I think it fits with the song as it's a really delicate sony - hence the name 'Harmony' with an acoustic song, and the video isn't too heavy and complicated it's simple to understand.

JUNO (film) ''All I Want Is You'' 
In this sequence to the beginning of the film, I like the simple transition from reality to rotoscope. I think the rotoscope looks effective as at the start of films it's not a convention to have animation at the beginning so it creates a unique twist to the film. I like how at the end the video then transitions back to realism again.

Rotosmoking - ft MGMT (not official video)
I like how this video uses rotoscope but plays around with a lot of different media such as hand drawn, cgi, paint and coloured pencils. I also like how in the editing stage they have reversed the clip.

Amanda Palmer - No Suprises
After looking at the live reference video to Amanda's music video, I can see just how much work has gone into it. In the live footage version, Amanda is simply laid singing a song with nothing else. However, in the editing stage a lot of rotoscope has been added which makes the video look even more effective.

Kanye West  - Heartless
This video really attracts my attention as not only does it use animation, but it advances the use of rotoscope/cgi. The backgrounds are really well planned and drawn creating an alternate reality in the video. The characters are also well drawn and the video looks very natural. The video also has a variety of camera shots from establishing shots, long shots, medium close ups to close ups. 


 DIGIPAK INSPIRATIONS:


As I was really inspired by the A-Ha Take On Me video, I have decided to go down the rotoscoping path and test it out to see how it will look. I also study Art so thought I'd use that to my advantage as I also like drawing a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment